Stateline Farm Beginnings
How do I become a Beginning Farmer?
Apply to Stateline Farm Beginnings® at Angelic Organics Learning Center!
Stateline Farm Beginnings is a yearlong training course designed to help you launch or expand your farming business. Students learn sustainable farming practices used on real farms, develop a tailor-made farming/business plan, and begin to view the farm as an interconnected system. Students also gain knowledge from some of the most innovative farmers and experts in the Midwest, and create lifelong friendships within a new farming network. Stateline Farm Beginnings also offers opportunities to access land and equipment. Our program attracts both rural and urban participants, with students from Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee, Madison, and other nearby communities.
The three components of Stateline Farm Beginnings:
- Winter Course Sessions (October to February) that focus on goal-setting, planning for profit, marketing & pricing strategies, and developing a business plan.
- Field Day Workshops (January to October) at sustainable farms in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin. Hosted by members of Upper Midwest CRAFT.
- One-On-One Mentoring (April to September) from a successful sustainable farmer in your field of interest. Arrangements are flexible, taking employment and family into account. Students may or may not be paid, depending on the agreement between mentor and mentee.
- 2016-17 Stateline Farm Beginnings Application Materials
- 2016-17 Course Schedule & Curriculum
- Stateline Farm Beginnings® Scholarship Application & Worksheet (MS Word format)
- Stateline Farm Beginnings Graduate Profiles
- Farm Beginnings Programs in Illinois
- Farm Beginnings Collaborative
Not ready to start your farm business yet but want to get involved in a farmer network now?
Consider joining CRAFT. CRAFT members get first notification when the application period begins each July. For more information on our program, or to receive notifications about future Stateline Farm Beginnings courses, contact Sheri Doyel, Program Facilitator, at 815-389-8455 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Farmer Training Programs & Services
- Farmer Training Initiative
- Stateline Farm Beginnings
- Upper Midwest CRAFT Homepage
- Farm Asset Builder Program
- Micro-lending for Beginning Farmers
- Considering Farming?
- Training Resources
How to Donate
Every dollar counts. Our work continues with your support.