Stateline Farm Beginnings
How do I become a Beginning Farmer?
Apply to Stateline Farm Beginnings® at Angelic Organics Learning Center!
Stateline Farm Beginnings is a yearlong training course designed to help you launch or expand your farm business. Students learn sustainable farming practices used on real farms, develop a tailor-made farming/business plan, and begin to view the farm as an interconnected system. Students also gain knowledge from some of the most innovative farmers and experts in the Midwest, and create lifelong friendships within a new farming network. Stateline Farm Beginnings also offers opportunities to access land and equipment. Our program attracts both rural and urban participants, with students from Chicago, Rockford, Milwaukee, Madison, and nearby communities. We encourage veterans to apply! Read all about some of these now farmers and the program itself in this recent Chicago Farm Report article.
- Winter Course Sessions (October to March) focus on goal-setting, planning for profit, marketing & pricing strategies, and developing a business plan.
- Field Day Workshops (January to October) are hosted at sustainable farms in northern Illinois, southern Wisconsin and Chicagoland area.
- One-On-One Mentorships (April to September) are carefully matched with a successful sustainable farmer in your field of interest. Arrangements are flexible, taking location, employment and family into account. Students may be paid, depending on the agreement between mentor and mentee.
- 2016-17 Course Schedule & Curriculum
- 2016-17 Stateline Farm Beginnings Application Materials
- Stateline Farm Beginnings® Scholarship Application & Worksheet (MS Word format)
- Stateline Farm Beginnings Graduate Profiles
- Farm Beginnings Programs in Illinois
- Farm Beginnings National Collaborative
Not ready to start a farm business, but want to get involved in a farmer network?
Consider joining CRAFT. CRAFT members get first notification when the application period begins each July. For more information on our program, or to receive notifications about future Stateline Farm Beginnings courses, contact Sheri Doyel, Program Facilitator, by phone at 815-389-8455 or by email.
Farmer Training Programs & Services
- Farmer Training Initiative
- Stateline Farm Beginnings
- Upper Midwest CRAFT
- Farm Asset Builder Program
- Micro-lending for Beginning Farmers
- Considering Farming?
- Training Resources
How to Donate
Every dollar counts. Our work continues with your support.