About - Stateline Farm Beginnings
What is Stateline Farm Beginnings® ?
Stateline Farm Beginnings® is a farmer-led training and support program designed to help people plan and launch sustainable farm businesses. Since 2005, graduates of the program have launched more than 35 new sustainable farms in our region!
Through Farm Beginnings® you can:
- Tap into the knowledge of some of the most innovative and skilled farmers operating in the Midwest.
- Develop lifelong friendships and networks with other beginning farmers.
- Learn critical farm management skills such as creative financing and innovative marketing strategies.
- Receive mentoring from a farmer engaged in a similar enterprise.
- See sustainable farming practices being used on real farms under a variety of conditions.
- Learn to view a farm as an interconnected system and learn how goals determine farming practices.
- Access opportunities for land and equipment use and/or rental.
- Craft a tailor-made farming/business plan.
The three components of the one-year Stateline Farm Beginnings® program:
- Winter course (October to March): ten business planning sessions from that focus on goal-setting and planning for profit.
- Training events (April to October): monthly CRAFT field day workshops at sustainable farms in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.
- Advising from a successful sustainable farmer in your field of interest. Advising arrangements are flexible, taking employment and family situations into account. Students may or may not be paid, depending on the agreement between the adviser and advisee.
Stateline Farm Beginnings® Cirriculum
Not ready to apply yet but want to get involved now?
Consider joining CRAFT. CRAFT members get first notification when the application period begins each July.
For more information, or to receive notifications about future Stateline Farm Beginnings® courses, contact Sheri Doyel, Program Facilitator, at 815-389-6513 or email.
Farmer Training Programs & Services
- Farmer Training Initiative
- Farm Beginnings
- Upper Midwest CRAFT Homepage
- Technical Assistance
- Considering Farming?
- Training Resources
How to Donate
Every dollar counts. Our work continues with your support.