Community Supported Agriculture (csa)
The Roots & Wings network was launched in 2002 and is coordinated by Angelic Organics Learning Center. The purpose of Roots & Wings is to build authentic relationships in order to motivate, educate, and inspire the community members to grow, get, and eat good food. The Roots & Wings CSA program is a successful socially oriented urban farm business that increases access to fresh, healthy, affordable food and provides employment opportunities. The Blackhawk Courts farm and garden is located within Blackhawk Courts, a Rockford Housing Authority property.
Summer and Fall Shares are sold out! Please place your name on our waiting list.
Summer CSA: Jun. 22 - Aug. 24
Contact us for an application.
Shares will be available for pick up on Wednesdays between 12:00-6:00pm at Blackhawk Courts Farm and Garden: 1417 Meadow Ct, Rockford, IL 61104.
Questions? Contact Tedd Snowden, Program Director of Roots & Wings firstname.lastname@example.org
What’s in a share?
Each week you will receive a bountiful bag filled with seasonal vegetables, flowers and herbs - all of which are grown using organic techniques, then harvested and packed by Rockford youth! Shares are large, with volume and weight changing weekly based upon vegetable availability. Melons are available at the end of the season. You can also receive two quarts of delicious, local farm-raised honey for an additional fee. This season we will grow:
What our customers have to say
- Just wanted to let you know how much I am enjoying my CSA. The vegetables are beautiful & delicious. It's also an education for me to try vegetables that are new to me. One of my favorite parts is opening the bag. . .a wonderful aroma of "freshness" emanates from it. M-m-m-m.
- I made the spaghetti squash recipe for supper tonight. . . it was yummy! And knowing that most of the ingredients came fresh from Blackhawk Farm made it even that much better. Thank you!
- Dear Tedd, Yatte and Crew. As I count my blessings I'm thinking of you. Thanks for all the great garden produce, for teaching me about vegetables I had never tried and for some great recipes. It was a joy to be able to meet some of your interns and gardeners. Happy Thanksgiving!
- Thanks Tedd. We are definitely enjoying the CSA. The newsletter is so helpful as there have been some items I’ve never sampled before. We are taking them to ten different facilities within the Park District and everyone is excited.
- Hi Tedd, Just want you to know we ate about one third of the HUGE butternut squash this evening. It is delicious. We look forward to eating every last bite! Thank you so much for all the vegetables this season. Roots and Wings was a great experience!
- Just wanted to say THANK YOU to you, Yatte, and the team for giving us excellent veggies this summer! Only positive comments from us; we loved the selection, variety, and quantity of produce this year.